Survey Assistant Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, BC
Education: Formal training/post-secondary education in survey technology
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee owned and operated firm, with over 1,000 staff members, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. Our teams work hard to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities.
For more than 100 years, we’ve been an industry leader in the application of leading practices and cutting-edge technology within Surveying and Geomatics. Our survey crews and technical employees are committed to working closely with our clients in the resource, infrastructure, and construction industries, and within the communities we help build.
McElhanney Ltd. is looking for a Survey Assistant to join our branch in Vancouver, BC. This is a great opportunity for a dedicated individual who enjoys working in the great outdoors, looking to gain hands on surveying experience. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of survey technicians and land surveyors on a variety of legal, topographic and construction surveys.
- Set-up and operation of conventional survey and GPS equipment.
- Follow directives received from Field Supervisor or Party Chief to assist survey team.
- Prepare accurate field notes, when required.
- Clean and maintain equipment, maintain supplies, stock company vehicle, and ensure necessary physical resources are available in the field, with minimal supervision.
- May be required to use tools and equipment such as axe, sledge hammer, shovel, metal detector and survey tripod to complete assigned tasks.
- May be required to use hand and power tools to clear line quickly and efficiently.
- Formal training/post-secondary education in survey technology; a combination of education and experience is an asset
- Physically fit and able to move and carry survey equipment
- Ability to work in a variety of outdoor settings including wilderness/backcountry environment for extended periods and varied hours
- Willing to travel and able to work out of town on an as-needed basis (up to three weeks away at a time; sometimes more)
- Excellent attention to detail, attendance, judgment, and communication skills
This role is designated as a safety sensitive position.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
McElhanney’s Vancouver office is conveniently situated right downtown – close proximity to transit, shopping, and access to virtually any other amenity that you may require makes this a great place to work. In this location are operational branches including civil and structural engineering, surveying, and mapping, as well as the business support services including Accounting, Marketing, Human Resources, Business Technology, Corporate Administration and Health, Safety & Environment departments.PDF